Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Non-Naan


The May 15th recipe for Tuesdays with Dorie is Oasis Naan from the book Baking with Julia.

Learn more about Tuesdays with Dorie and see links to the blogs of my fellow bakers.  Also the hosts will have the recipe on their blog!

This Naan was tasty and easy!  However, my half-Indian husband looked at my naan, took and bite, and said "This is good, but isn't naan."  I valiantly tried to defend the naan-ish bread, "This is Julia Child naan, it is white person naan!" (I call all the Indian food I make white-person-Indian-food, because well, I'm a white person making Indian food.  That way I can defend my attempts at Indian-European fusion (or failed attempts at traditional Indian) when he points out it's not like what he grew up with.  Because it isn't SUPPOSED to be!)


Took the naan to a party, and the other guests agreed with my husband.  I still got great satisfaction out of eating this bread and it was crazy easy.  The early ones did end up a little overly puffy (another non-naan characteristic my husband pointed out) so I went a little crazy with the fork poking holes in the later breads and that seemed to work better.  I have a pretty well-stocked kitchen, but I do not own a baking stone or a pizza peel and they would have been very useful for this recipe.


1 comment:

  1. This definitley is not quite the same thing as the naan as I am used to getting - but it was good, and I guess that's what matters at the end of the day :-)
    Cute post

    ReplyDelete