Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Endurance Chocolate Truffle Tartlets

The Feb. 21th recipe for Tuesdays with Dorie is Chocolate Truffle Tartlets starting on page 382 of Baking with Julia (see http://www.goodeatsblog.com/ for the full recipe or refer to the cookbook).

To learn more about Tuesdays with Dorie and links to the blogs of my fellow bakers: http://tuesdayswithdorie.wordpress.com/



Ohmigod, I'm exhausted. This recipe is a lot of work, especially when you have a weekend full of plans, laundry, a baby, a husband and um... a life! I got up before my three month old on a Saturday to make dough by hand. If that isn't dedication to Tuesdays with Dorie, I don't know what is!

This is my beautiful chocolate dough, in my lovely little tartlet pans that some family members bought me for my wedding shower (thanks family!)


Due to my love for said tartlet pans, I was a little too gentle poking holes in the dough with my plastic fork (there was no way I was scratching up my pretty little pans!!). So some of my shells turned out bumpy like this:


Here is a hole I poked in one to check the extent of my error. Darn, this tart will have to be for me to eat.


Oh well, must push on. In a frantic rush between church and a ladies lunch date (where hungry girls expected these tarts for dessert) I made the filling of egg yolks and dark chocolate with milk chocolate, white chocolate, and biscotti chunks. Mmmm. Notice how big the biscotti chunks are. This a no-no if you want a smooth, sophisticated looking tart. At this point I was happy with sufficient and edible.


At the dough step I had extra dough. Now if you think I'm going to get up at 5 am on a Saturday and make dough just to throw some of it out, you are insane. I made two more shells using fancy little quiche pans also gifted to me at my wedding shower by members of my family (thanks again family!). Also I had extra filling, so that ended up in some ramekins my sister bought me for my birthday. My family keeps Williams Sonoma in business.


Done! The tartlets give a respectable showing at the ladies lunch and when I arrive home I excitedly ask my chocoholic husband what he thinks about the tarts left for him. "Uh" he shrugs, "They were kinda dry. Not what I expected." The sad thing is I agreed with him, they were a little dry. Where was this velvety truffle texture I was fantasizing about?

After all that work and gauging the crowd response, this is what I've decided. These tartlets elicit ohhs, ahhs, and look oh so fancy. But if what you want is a seriously decadent chocolate hit, just make the filling with very good eggs, undercook it a bit in a ramekin, and put a big scoop of ice cream on top. Add other creamy, sugary vices as desired. And sleep in.

5 comments:

  1. You made these with a 3 month old? Wow! They came out beautifully though. Thanks for baking along with me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are very dedicated! Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor!

    Carmen
    http://bakingismy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good! Sorry yours came out dry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am tired just reading your post :-) But your tarts look good, I am sorry they weren't the texture you were hoping for.
    I have found that using some form of pie weight(Dried beans, pie chains, marbles - there are quite a few options out there) helps with the funky bubbles :-) It took a few trial and errors, but I have been much happier since figuring that out.

    ReplyDelete