Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sláinte Irish Soda Bread

The Mar. 20th recipe for Tuesdays with Dorie is Irish Soda Bread from the book Baking with Julia (see Chocolate Moosey for the full recipe or refer to the cookbook).

Learn more about Tuesdays with Dorie and see links to the blogs of my fellow bakers.

I think this is possibly the best Irish Soda Bread I have ever eaten. Certainly it is the best (and easiest) I have ever made!


This recipe was so easy! Four ingredients. I went with the non-currant/raisin option.


Mix it all together to make a dough.


Shape into a round and bake.


Mmmm... so pretty!


I took this bread to a St. Patrick's Day party. Mindful of the "hard as the blarney stone" short shelf life comment in the cookbook, this bread went into the oven at 3pm for a 5pm party. I transported it wrapped in a partially damp cloth wrapped in a plastic bag. It traveled great and received many compliments at the party. I served it with Irish butter and Catholic Elderberry jam (thank you Trappist Monks!)

Success!


Next time Pizza Rustica! I love savory pies so I'm pretty excited about this recipe.


3 comments:

  1. I love this recipe! Never had Irish Soda Bread before.
    Compared to the "Rugelach-mission" it was a piece of cake, sorry, bread!
    Your pictures and bread look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really easy recipe. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure it was really good with the elderberry jam!
    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete